Currently shipping to the United States only.
The standoffs and screws needed to build RACECAR/J.
This Mechanical Hardware is part of the MIT RACECAR Build Series.
The pictures show just some of the parts included. Here is the complete list:
- Qty 20 - Aluminum Male-Female Threaded Hex Standoff, 3/16" Hex, 1/4" Length, 4-40 Screw Size
- Qty 5 - Aluminum Female Threaded Hex Standoff, 3/16" Hex, 2" Length, 4-40 Screw Size (Lower to Upper Deck Standoffs)
- Qty 4 - Aluminum Female Threaded Hex Standoff, 3/16" Hex, 1" Length, 4-40 Screw Size (Lidar Standoffs)
- Qty 4 - 18-8 Stainless Steel Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw, 1/4"-20 Thread, 1/2" Length
- Qty 2 -18-8 Stainless Steel Hex Nut, 1/4"-20 Thread Size, 7/16" Wide, 7/32" High
- Qty 100 - Phillips Rounded Head Screw, Black-Oxide 18-8 Stainless Steel, 4-40 Thread Size, 7/16" Long ( Platform Standoffs and Lidar Standoffs )
- Qty 100 - Phillips Rounded Head Screw, Black-Oxide 18-8 Stainless Steel, 4-40 Thread Size, 1/4" Long ( For 1/4" standoffs)
- Qty 100 - Hex Drive Rounded Head Screw, Black-Oxide Alloy Steel, M3 x 0.5 mm Thread, 10 mm Long ( Platform to Chassis connection, Hokuyo Lidar)
- Qty 100 - Hex Drive Rounded Head Screw, Black-Oxide Alloy Steel, M3 x 0.5 mm Thread, 8 mm Long
The 1/4" standoffs are self tapping on the Delrin RACECAR/J platforms. However, you may want to tap the holes with a 4/40 tap beforehand. This can help ensure that the standoff is perpendicular to the plate deck, and makes it easier to install the standoff. Do not over tighten the standoff, they are easy to break off! If the thread breaks off from the standoff it can be, let's say, difficult to remove.
Ships in approximately 3 days.
For installation, the suggested tools are a 3/16" socket driver for the 1/4" standoffs, a 2mm hex driver for the M3 machine screws, and a No. 1 Phillips head screw driver for the 4/40 screws.
Note: You will notice that there are a lot more screws than you need for this project! We are hoping that you find the extras useful when you add different sensors and components to your RACECAR/J.
Depending on how you configure your RACECAR/J, you may find that you use less 1/4" M/F standoffs than are in this package. Here's the deal: We have all worked on projects where we came up short on an insignificant part like a screw or standoff. This requires ordering them and waiting, or running down to the hardware store to grab the needed parts. If there's a deadline, it is almost inevitable. This ends up costing more in the long run, and then some. Better to have extra stock around when crunch time arrives.
Combine this hardware with one of the RACECAR/J Platforms to start your build today!